Monday, May 16, 2011

It's a storm! It's an earthquake! No, it's...

Outside, I hear a lot of commotion, scraping, loud noises, and incessant pounding.
No, it's not a thunderstorm.
It's the roofers.
The last time we got a new roof I was so young I don't remember a thing about it. But I do know that it was just me, my sister, and my mom at home, huddled inside the house with black drop-cloths covering all the windows. My dad was at work and we didn't have any pets at the moment.
Now, the whole family is home and we happen to have a dog who is rather skittish (thanks to her original owners) and freaks when it storms outside. And well, to a dog, replacing the roof sounds a heck of a lot like  a thunderstorm.
Thankfully she seems to be quite calm now that we've reassured her that the roofers are "our friends" and I sat and pet her so that she would relax.
Unfortunately they haven't started putting on  the new roof yet so the pounding and hammering that will shortly follow will cause a whole new level of flipping outness.
It's kind of interesting... hearing all these people up on your roof. The sound has a soothing white noise effect (in a weird way). I'm sorta wondering why it hasn't been added to the soundtrack of soothing sounds for all the insomniacs out there. ; )
Thankfully there are no black tarps over the windows yet. I might have to leave if the do that. It'd be a bit too claustrophobic for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment